Tuesday, July 7, 2009

True Champion

True champion

Roger Fedrer did it again.7th Wimbledon and 15th grand slam and I am quite sure that the numbers will grow healthier by the time he finishes his career.
Clinical serves, strong forehand and backhand returns, chicky drop shots, smart volleys and swift yet smooth mover on the court….who can’t be Fedrer fan?
A humble guy who at times is calm & composed and other times quite emotional. Above all the man with a never say die attitude. Who can’t be a Fedrer fan?
And neither I am different nor I am “who”(bad joke!!). I have always been a big Fedrer fan and have always cherished his victories but for the first time I was more concern about somebody’s defeat more than his victory. This somebody is none other than Andy Roddick. He played his heart out there and held Fedrer for nearly about four and half hours but……
Andy Roddick, as a player he might not be as accomplished as Fedrer but as a sportsman, he scores more than anyone else in the game. For me he was the real hero of wimbeldon’09 and hence the true champ.
Everyone will sing on top of their voices about Roger Fedrer’s achievements & records but I doubt anyone or any form of media would spare some space for Roddick(except for a snap with the runner’s up trophy).come on………..
I know that I am in no position to judge “who deserves what?”. But as a true sports lover and being a sportsman myself, I can at least raise my voice and say “Andy!! You rock man.”
The American won the quarter finals against Lleyton Hewitt of Australia. It was a hard fought five setter. Both the players played top class tennis for more than three hours and in the end Roddick came on top. It was the best match of wimbeldon’09 until the final was played.
Then the semifinals, against the British man Andy Murray. As always British media was considering Murray as the winner and for them he was in the finals before even playing the semifinal. Andy Murray was getting all the hype and attention as if he had already beaten Roddick. But Roddick had other plans and he executed them quite successfully. He kept serving his “bazookas” (as one of commentator termed his fast serves).Murray did not have any answer for them. Against all the hypothetically created odds, Roddick won the semifinal with clinical performance. I could not stop feeling that along with Andy Murray and his British fans, British media, the commentators were also quite disappointed as their predictions were proved wrong with some champion stuff.
For me, there are three kinds of celebrations.
a) I am the winner. (Which means I am the winner and you are the looser…)
b) Come on!! I am the winner over here. (Which means you are the looser….)
And then there is the Roddick style celebration “I won.” (Which only means I won.)
It was quite evident in his post match interview also when he said “ Andy(murray) has been playing and performing quite consistently over the year then I have but it’s just that I played a little better today.” It is this quality which makes him a true sports man and a true champion.
Players will come and go but there will be very few like Andy Roddick who plays the sport in its true spirit.
Roddick is good not because somebody is bad but he is good only because he is good.

3 comments:

  1. Roddick tried hard till the end. but unfortunately he lost. winners are not those who never fail but those who never quit. watch out for next grand slam. Roddick will b rocky balboa of tennis..btw..keep writing....i always appreciate writers....cheers and smiles...swapnil

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Mr. Surreal (haha) !
    change is inevitable ! now fedrer days are about to over and the world is looking for some new face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one but I am not comment on the Tennis because I have an ample of knowledge about it but I must confess that you are a true sports person by heart and you proved it for many times when we played together Bro.Keep writing dear because your thoughts are like vivacious for me.so,just persist your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete